After World War II, GIs and their families found affordable housing in the new Wildwood subdivision of Middletown. The subdivision was built in 1955 and Wildwood Elementary opened in 1959. The school was built on land donated by Armco.
The 1959 building served the community for forty-seven years. It was torn down in 2006, and Wildwood Elementary was housed in the old Roosevelt building for two years while the new Wildwood building was built on the old site. The new building opened in fall 2008. Today the “new” Wildwood building has 24 homerooms, special education classrooms, an art room, a music room, gymnasium, cafetorium and serves over 600 students.
The students, teachers and parents are very proud of the culture at Wildwood. It is an exciting time for the diverse population of students that inhabit Wildwood and we celebrate all of our students everyday.
Wildwood has an active PTO and PAC (Parent Activity Committee) sponsoring special programs throughout the year for the school community. Wildwood also is a place for teachers in training to get their first taste of a classroom. Last year over 100 Miami tutors worked with our elementary students.